Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

97 Pontiac Bonneville: climate control..reads..heater..blows hot air

My climate control in a 97 Pontiac Bonneville reads that the external temp is between 157-160. The heater seems to run constantly and when I try to turn on the a/c (worked last year) it blows hot air. Please help, I need to try to fix this myself if possible.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

Locate the ambient temperature sensor in front of the radiator (see picture below). Unplug the sensor and see if the reading changes (should go to -38 degrees). Let me know what it does.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see the picture.

Here it is. Sorry about the mixup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Found and unplugged it. I now have a blinking 60 degrees.
Okay, this indicates that the sensor is bad and will need to be replaced. You can get this sensor from most dealers parts departments fairly cheaply. After replacing the sensor, your readout and a/c controls should return to normal operation.