Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

97 grand am: speedo,tach,fuel and temp gauges dont work

Customer Question

the speedo,tach,fuel and temp gauges don't work on my 97 grand am what could be the cause of this.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi,welcome to Just Answer.I will be happy to assist you with this question today.I will try and assist you as best as possible from here,feel free to ask any follow up questions to my info provided here.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does the rest of the instrument cluster operate properly like the illumination and warning lights on it?

Does the vehicle run or shift improperly with this fault?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the rest of the cluster works fine and i replace the trans the only shift problem is on the freeway it shifts the last gear at 55 mph.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
O.k.,with all of the rest of the instrument panel working except these gages here this indicates the fault is internal in the instrument cluster itself.If it was a power or ground issue then the cluster wouldn't operate at all but if the lights and warning lights still work then it is getting power and ground to it.

There is a micro processor internal in the instrument cluster that fails and this is what controls these gages.When it fails the gages wont work,this is a common fault.

To correct this the instrument cluster either needs replaced or removed by a dealer and sent in for repair to their authorized repair center.The cost of this can vary depending on the vehicle and dealer pricing,in some cases I have seen this cost up around $700.

Let me know if you need anything else with this question asked here.Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the cluster twice the first time with 1 I know worked but the car wouldn't start now i know 2 override the security. The second did the same as the original
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
This is odd as usually this is caused by a faulty microprocessor in the cluster itself.Check and make sure the fuses labeled PRNDL and INST which are both 10 amp fuses are both good.If one is found blown replace it and see if the fault is corrected.

If the fuses are o.k. then the next step would be to test power and grounds at the back of the cluster to see if any are missing.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jack,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,