zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

98 grand am wont start. Power comes on but starter does not turn.

Customer Question

98 grand am won't start. Power comes on but starter does not turn.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.

I would check the starter to see if it is getting voltage on both terminals when not starting if it is the starter is failing

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I have tried to reply a couple times and the link did not work. I do have voltage to the starter/cylinoid. I took off the starter and confirmed the starter and cyliniod are working.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
You do have voltage on the small and large teminals while trying to start the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. There is votage on the large terminal but not the small terminal
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok, then you need to check the 60 amp ignition switch fuse in the under hood fuse box, if that is good you need to check the yellow wire into the range sensor on the top of the transmission and if that has power check the purple wire out of the range sensor, if the yellow wire has voltage and the purple one does not that range sensor is bad.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I should also have said these tests need to be done while trying to start the engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have voltage on both wires. Is it possible I have a vacuum problem?

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
No a vacuum issue will not stop the starter from cranking the engine. If there is power at both wires at the range sensor but not at the starter there is a broken wire between the range sensor and the starter on the purple wire. So if this were mine I would run a new purple wire from the range sensor to the starter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your time. I can trace the purple wire to a relay that connects it to the red wire that goes to the cyliniod. I have power all the way to the relay. I shorted across the relay and still the sarted does not turn.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
My info does not show that vehicle having a crank/starter relay so are you sure this does? If so can you tell me the 8th digit of the VIN so I can check the year?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have conceded defeat and taken the car to a shop. Thanks for you assistance
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok sorry I could not be of more help but good luck with the repair