AZ_HUNTER
AZ_HUNTER, GM World Class Tech
Experience:  16 years GM Tech, ASE Master Certified
15524760

Car will not crank over why? Battery good!

Car will not crank over why? Battery good! Nothing happens when trying to start. HELP?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

I would start with making sure you have power to engage the starter. With a test light, probe the purple wire (smaller of the two) at the starter. Have an assistant try to start the vehicle when you are checking for power at the starter. If the test lamp lights, the starter is no good, or the engine is locked up. If the test lamp does not light, you either have a starter relay that is bad (located in the under hood fuse block) or a bad ignition switch (the ignition switch is the electrical switch, not where the key is inserted). Testing the relay is easy, just swap it with another relay in the fuse block.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

must be getting power to starter, I grounded the solenoid and this cranked the engine over and tried to start. so what next?

Does your vehicle have an automatic or manual transmission?

Check the CRANK fuse in the under hood fuse block. If this fuse is good, gain access to the ignition switch. Check the big yellow wire coming out of the back of the switch, with a test light, while trying to start the vehicle. The test light should light, if not then the switch is no good.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I didn't bother with the starter fuse. I did the 10 minute fix. I noticed the Security light was flashing today while I tried starting. 10 minutes later it started. Got it home and replaced iginition starter switch & igintion cylinder....needed this anyway the keys in the old cylinder was a pane at times.

Thanx for your help.

You are welcome. Was the security lamp flashing before you replaced the ignition switch and cylinder? Typically you will have to relearn the theft deterrent system after replacing these components also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the lamp was flashing before replacing parts. After replacing parts I did the 10 min relearn process over again and car started right up..Smile