GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2000 pontiac granam 2.4 how do you replace the valve cover gasket

Customer Question

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This is just the upper valve cover gasket?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Important: If you loosen or remove the bolts which secure the camshaft housing to the cylinder head, replace the gasket between the camshaft housing and the cylinder head. During disassembly, keep the valve lifters together and identified, so that you can reinstall the lifters in the original locations.

1. Before disassembling the valve mechanism, make a compression test and note the results.

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Disconnect the ignition coil and the module assembly electrical connection.

4. Remove the ignition coil bolts. Remove the bolts securing the module assembly to the camshaft housing.
5. Remove the assembly by pulling straight up.
6. The connector assembly may be stuck to the spark plugs. Use J 36011 by first twisting then pulling upward on the connector assembly.
7. Disconnect the electrical connection from the oil pressure switch.
8. Disconnect the timing chain housing at the exhaust camshaft housing, but do NOT remove the parts from the vehicle.

9. Remove the exhaust camshaft cover and the gasket.

INSTALLATION
10. Install the cover to the camshaft housing.

11. Use the J 36660-A in order to install the bolts.
^ Tighten the bolts which secure the camshaft housing to the cylinder head to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.) + 90 degrees.
^ Tighten the bolts which secure the camshaft housing cover to the camshaft housing to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.) + 30 degrees.
12. Install the timing chain housing to the camshaft housing and the timing chain. Refer to Timing Chain Housing Replacement.
13. Install the exhaust camshaft housing cover and the new gasket.
14. Connect the electrical connection to the oil pressure switch.
15. If any spark plug boot connector assembly is stuck to a spark plug, reinstall the connector onto the ignition coil and the module assembly.

16. Locate the ignition coil and the module assembly over the spark plugs.
17. Push straight down.
18. Clean any lubricant from the ignition coil and the bolts which secure the module assembly to the camshaft housing.
19. Apply pipe sealant GM P/N 1052080 or the equivalent onto the ignition coil and onto the bolts which secure the module assembly to the camshaft housing.
^ Tighten the bolts to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.) + 30 degrees.
20. Connect the electrical connector to the ignition coil and to the module assembly.
21. Connect the negative battery cable.

Important: Do not compress the lifter plungers using a vise or other tool. This will cause more air to enter the lifter assembly and will take more time to bleed out once the lifters are installed.

22. If you have installed new lifter or if the lifters bled down while the engine was disassembled, you may experience excessive lifter noise. This is a normal condition and no engine damage is occurring. Use the following procedure in order to purge the air from the lifters:
22.1. Start the engine and warm the engine at the idle for 5 minutes.
22.2. Increase the engine speed to 2000 RPM until the lifter noise is gone.
22.3. Return the engine to idle for an additional 5 minutes or perform a road test.
23. Start the engine. Inspect for leaks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's a 2.4 and what is the timing chain and exhaust housing do u have a picture

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the end where the timing chain will not come up is something else holding it down beside the bolts on top of the valve cover
Did you disconnect the timing chain cover to the valve cover?
Step 8 has this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is what i don't understand what time chain cover and what bolts
This one.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

YOu need to support the engine and remove the front bracket, coolant bottle and many things to get these off.