FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2000 Pontiac Grand Am: V6 will crank but wont start..disconnected

Customer Question

2000 Pontiac Grand Am V6 will crank but won't start. I got it to jump start this morning and it continued to run after being disconnected from the other vehicle. I replaced the battery. It still cranks and does not start.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 years ago.

FIXITMAN :

Hello JACUSTOMER, is the security light on in the vehicle when cranking the engine?

JACUSTOMER-ka9x3di5- :

Yes it is one for the first attempt to start it. It is off on further attempts to start if the ignition is not returned to off.

FIXITMAN : Okay, so it is illuminated when cranking the engine?
JACUSTOMER-ka9x3di5- :

The security light turns off when the ignition is taken to start (remains off while cranking) and then remains off.

FIXITMAN :

Okay. Lets start by reseting the security system. Turn the key on to the run position for 10 minutes then turn it to the off position. Turn it again to the run position for 10 more minutes and then off. Do this one more time. After the third time see if it starts. If it does not then you may have a failing crank position sensor.

JACUSTOMER-ka9x3di5- :

No dice. What is a crank position sensor?

FIXITMAN :

This is a sensor on the engine that tells the computer the speed of the engine and when to fire the plugs and injectors. I would also be sure to check the fuel pressure before replacing any parts. You will need a fuel pressure tester for this.

JACUSTOMER-ka9x3di5- :

When the ignition is taken to on, I can hear the fuel oil pump run for a few seconds pressurizing the system. Would any of these issues be an indication of an ignition switch problem?

FIXITMAN :

It is possible that it is an ignition switch issue. You can check this with a DMM if you have one.