Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Pontiac Grand Prix GT: Starting disabled due to theft system

Starting disabled due to theft system now my car won't start. It is a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Gt. How do I reset it?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, you need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure:

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale(security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The engine started after only doing one of the cycles.

It did not require 3 cycles as you stated in your answer that it may require.

In other words, I turned the ignition key on and waited 10 minutes,

I turned the ignition key off and waited 5 seconds

I turned the ignition key on to start another cycle and the engine started.

I tried to start the engine 4 more times and it started each time.

I assume the problem is solved.

I do not have a scanner to clear the history. Will it be ok if I just assume the memory is ok and do not have to clear the history with a scanner?

This is the only time I have had this problem in 8 years of owning this car.

I do not know why this happened.

The car worked fine yesterday and was in a locked garage all night.

Do you know why this happened.

Is there an electrical part that is getting old and may need to be replaced?

This happened at a convenient place and time for me this time.

The next time may not be so convenient.

Do I need to worry that this may start to happen more often?

Please let me know back on this.

Also Thank you for your quick response to my original question.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

you dont need to clear anything with a scanner.

Generally what causes this is the antitheft control module loses memory and doesnt read the key. The relearn procedure basically allows the control module to to relearn the key chip's configuration.

This can be a one time glitch, or it can start to happen more often. if it does, then it would need to be diagnosed with scan tool to see if it is the key failing or the control module failing.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.