Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

95 pontiac: car wont start..battery ck good cables..clicking sound..v6

car wont start replaced starter and had battery ck good cables are good will not even make clicking sound 95 pontiac bontavill sse 3.8 v6
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Pete :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I will try and assist you today with your question.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Pete :

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Pete :

Is the security light coming on and staying on or flashing at all on the dash either when you first turn on the key or after you try and start the vehicle and release the key?

Pete :

Do you have a test light for testing electrical?

Pete :

Will it start in neutral?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!

Customer:

i did not look at the security light

Pete :

Can you check and see if the light is doing either of these things and if it will start in neutral?

Customer:

will not start in neutral it

Pete :

In allot of cases the wires at the back of the cylinder that read the key will break off and cause this exact fault here requiring the cylinder and key to be replaced so if the security light is staying on solid or flashing with the key on or after trying to start the vehicle most likely this is what is at fault as I have had to replace several of these before to correct this fault.

Customer:

i have noticed the headlights dont come on as usual when u turn the key

Pete :

some vehicles have a twilight switch either near the headlight switch or on the dash and if this is switched off then this might happen.

Customer:

its broken and the lights stay on for about 5 min after car is off

Pete :

o.k,this switch most likely needs replaced then if it is broken

Customer:

car is not here at this time so will not be able to check it till tomarrow ?

Pete :

sounds good,let me know what you find.You can come back at any time before and after the accept as needed,thanks Pete!

Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you need anything else with your question asked or anything else in the future.Thanks Pete!