GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1998 grand am se: kick..My key doent have a chip in it and key

Customer Question

I have a 1998 grand am se that the theft system has kick in and we can't get it off. My key doen't have a chip in it and I also got a new key for it and neither key is working. They fit the ignition. I just need know what to do for the theft system.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied with my answers.

It can be the passlock sensor in the ignition cylinder has failed but initially let me ask, when you turned the ignition on was the amber security/theft light on or flashing? ALso, did you have a fully charged battery and leave the ignition on for 10 to 12 minutes waiting until the security light went out?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the security light has never blinked,and yes the battery was fully charged I am sure it went down some because we tried it off and on for about 2 hours. It has happened to me a few other times and have been able to do the passenger or the ignition deal 3 times and it would start. the car is a 1998 I didn't realize I put 1996.
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Have you had the vehicle scanned for fault codes to confirm it is a theft deterrent fault? Also, after the 10 to 12 minute wait with the ignition on, does the security light go off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I have not had it scanned. I had to have it towed home because it happened when I was out shopping. The security light never went out. I forgot that we also unhooked the battery and tried the 10-12 minute ignition on.

Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. We may need to have the system scanned to see if there is communication with the theft deterrent system and the body control module. I have seen water leaks from the cowl drip onto the BCM and cause a no communications issue and no start.