Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

how do you change water pump on 2004 grand prix gtp

Customer Question

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Pete :

Hi.

Pete :

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Pete :

Can you tell me the exact engine size in this vehicle?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!

Customer :

3800

Pete :

O.k.,in order to access some of the water pump bolts the power steering pump has to be unbloted and set aside.Here are the instructions on replacing this water pump.

Pete :

1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Reposition the accessory wiring junction block.
3. Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.
4. Remove the drive belt.
5. Remove the water pump pulley bolts.
6. Remove the water pump pulley.
7. Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts and reposition.
8. Remove the water pump bolts.
9. Remove the water pump.
10. Remove the water pump gasket.
11. Clean and inspect the water pump gasket mating surfaces.
Installation Procedure
1. Install the gasket and the water pump.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions
2. Install the water pump bolts.
^ Tighten the long water pump bolts to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.).
^ Tighten the short water pump bolts to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.).
3. Install the water pump pulley.
4. Install the water pump pulley bolts.
^ Tighten the bolts to 13 Nm (115 in. lbs.).
5. Install the power steering pump.
6. Install the drive belt.
7. Install the accessory wiring junction block.
8. Fill the cooling system.

Customer :

tight area. how do you get to the bolts on the power steering pump?

Pete :

I use a short 13mm socket with a short extension on it and a 3/8 ratchet or 1/4 inch ratchet to get on the extension and socket to break the bolts loose and remove them.

Pete :

It is a tight fit but can be done as I have done several times before.

Customer :

did you used the holes in the pulley to access the bolts?

Pete :

Yes,sorry I forgot to mention that,roll the pulley by hand with the belt off to then gain access through the holes in the pulley to loosen and remove the bolts.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.