Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Pontiac Sunfire: trac off and ABS AND SERVICE LIGHT ARE ON

trac off and ABS AND SERVICE LIGHT ARE ON , WHAT TO DO
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Pete :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I will try and assist you today with your question.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Pete :

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Pete :

Were fault codes checked in the ABS and Body computer or just the engine/transmission computer?

Pete :

Were you told to get a new catalytic converter because the test said it wasnt ready yet?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!

Customer:

yes they told me to get new cat because it was not ready

Pete :

O.k.,you dont necessarily need a new CAT. because the testing/monitor shows it isnt ready,the vehicle needs driven more so the test can run and complete.If it doesnt complete possibly after a month or so then there may be a fault there with the converter.

Pete :

Was anybody able to communicate with the body and ABS computers with their scan tool at all to read out fault codes?

Customer:

he said his tool did not go that far . said maybe a ball joint oe something might be bad, that casr is known for that he said

Pete :

A ball joint wont cause these lights to come on in most cases.What needs to be done it to have a shop or dealer that has a scan tool that will communicate with these computers on this vehicle check the fault codes to see what codes have turned on these lights/messages.Then from there it can be properly diagnosed to see what the cause is.This may also keep the computer from running the full test on the CAT.

Pete :

There are a large number of possibilities that can cause these lights to come on here this is why the codes need checked in these computers to aid and help locate the fault.

Customer:

the car still drives good will it hurt the car to drive with them on till I can get it into a real shop that has this scan tool your talking about?

Pete :

If it is running and driving o.k. then most likely you are o.k. for now to drive it,but I do recommend to get it diagnosed as soon as you can.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you need anything else with your question asked or anything else in the future.Thanks Pete!