Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Pontiac Grand Am GT: The service engine soon light is on in

The service engine soon light is on in my 2000 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.4 L V6. We've replaced the secondary air injection pump which is what the diagnostic said the problem was. Drove the car for 135 miles and the light came back on. Then we found a vacuum hose loose and reset it again this time the light came back after 14 miles. Then we tried to check for continuity throughout the system and the pump is not getting power to the feed? Where does that wire get its power and how do we fix it?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
can you tell me the code number you keep getting ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P0410
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
in the underhood fuse box can you check with the key on if the fuse AIRPUMP 30 amp fuse has 12 volts on both sides of that fuse with the fuse in place testing threw the little opening on the tips of the top of the fuse ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We just tried it and its not showing voltage on any of them when we test it through the top

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

tested with the ignition key on ?are you 100% sure no power on either side?if so pull that fuse and test both terminals where the fuse slides into neither have any voltage ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We already pulled the fuse itself and tested it for continuity and it was fine. There was no voltage on any of the fuses when we tested it like that. We tried taking the fuse out and outting the tester right where the fuse goes and still nothing but on the connectors there was power - The only place we could find a problem was at the pump itself- one of the connectors had power and the other didnt
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
with the key on you have NO volatge at either terminal that that AIRPUMP fuse connects into with the ignition key on ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it took so long the website wasnt working- Okay so we pulled the ignition fuse out and tested that terminal and it was 12 volts- then we pulled the one you told me to out and tested it and there was nothing. So is that the problem? Do we have to replace the whole fuse box?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
that fuse the AIRPUMP with the key on should have 12 volts at one of the terminals for that fuse.if you do NOT then either the fuse box is the problem or the ignition switch is not sending the power to the box.but according to the scematic that same ignition wire that send power to the AIRPUMP fuse also uses the same wire for the trans fuse.since its shifting when you drive it then more than likey the fuse box is the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So we should replace the entire fuse box? Or is there wiring to the fuse box that we need to check?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
no its built into the fuse box.the igniiton switch sends 1 big power back into the box then that power is split up to the fuses if the AIRPUMP fuse is the only one dead with the key on its the fuse box itsself
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master