Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2001 pontiac bonneville ssei: wont start..dies..fuel pump..throttle

my 2001 pontiac bonneville ssei supercharged won't start at times and also dies while driving(rpms go to 0). have changed the fuel pump,filter and had throttle cleaned.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

When the engine stalls, has the engine typically been running for a while? After stalling, can the engine be restarted right away, or does it need to cool down?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes it has been running for a while and sometimes within 5 mins it has died. Sometimes it will start right back up and other times it takes 5 mins to 45 min at the longest.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked for spark when the engine will not start? If not, try to replicate the no start condition, then remove plug wires at one of the coils and crank the engine. Spark should jump across the exposed towers on the coil while cranking. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My car is actually at a shop right now and I have had to take it back and forth there for the past couple months. I assume they have done that cause they are now saying that the ignition module is testing bad and want another $400. Origianally my check ingine light came on and was reading 4 codes. Egr,0xg sens,bad catalytic conv(had new one 2 months prior) and misfire. The shop said they tested and all was good. Then they checked fuel pump and they sd it was bad. Had them replace for hefty chg but car still isn't right and I'm afraid to keep putting money and problem not being corrected.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The most common problem for the symptoms you are having is a failed igniton control module, second most common would be a bad crankshaft position sensor. If they have done the proper testing when the problem was acting up then replacing the ignition control module will fix your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would either of these problems cause the catalytic converter to go bad?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
No, this will not cause the catalytic converter to fail. Catalytic converters will typically fail due to overheating the converter. This happens when too much fuel is run through the engine. A faulty O2 sensor can make the computer command too much fuel and this can in turn overheat and damage the converter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is an igniton control module hard to change? could you tell me where it is located?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
It is not hard to replace. It is directly under the igniton coils. Remove the 6 bolts (2 in each coil) and remove the 3 igniton coils, then the module can be removed. The same bolts hold the coils and module to the bracket underneath.

Module is #3 in picture below.