Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1978 pontiac: in a 1980 Turbo Trans Am. will my new motor fit

I am putting a 1978 pontiac 400 in a 1980 Turbo Trans Am. will my new motor fit under the hood or will I have to buy and new or different style hood?
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

If you use a '70-up block, the swap is easy. The 301 has a shorter deck height than the other Pontiac engines, so some of the accessory brackets may be affected by this when used on the 400, but if you can, get the 400 w/as much of the front engine accessory bracketry as possible- unless you find that the 301's brackets fit.

The trans will bolt up w/o issue, as will the driveshaft. I'd recommend you run headers and plan on installing them when you swap engines to make it easier.

The hood will fit, there is enough room for the engine even though it is taller. You will just have to be careful with your choice of air cleaner. A low pofile type will work best.