George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Pontiac Bonneville: 99..Blower/Fan does not work..Max fan speed..blow

Customer Question

Pontiac Bonneville '99 - Blower/Fan does not work on the Max fan speed. It does blow on the lower 3 settings. Is there a fix, Thanks
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Check AC fuse 3 in the right hand underhood fuse block to be sure this green 30 amp fuse is good.

In the high position the blower switch turns on the blower relay to allow the blower motor to be powered from the AC 3 fuse.

Let me know what you find and how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, AC fuse 3 is good. Checked fuse visually and with multi meter. Any other solutions, thanks.Declan
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.
If you have a multimeter check the red wire at the blower relay to be sure it has power from the AC3 fuse and then at the orange wire when you switch to high speed. The orange wire should show power in the high speed position but not in the other three.

If both of those are correct replace the blower relay.

The relay is the third from the left as you stand in front of the engine compartment looking at the fuse/relay rack mounted on the firewall.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

George, Here are the readings and conditions. Car ignition was on and engine not running. With Fan turned off Reading from AC3 to red wire was 0.008DC and reading AC3 to Org wire was same. With fan turned to high reading was AC3 to red wire was

0.019 and AC3 to ORG was 0.099. Does this mean anything?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

George, Here are the readings and conditions. Car ignition was on and engine not running. With Fan turned off Reading from AC3 to red wire was 0.008DC and reading AC3 to Org wire was same. With fan turned to high, reading was, AC3 to red wire

Thanks

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I did not know you were coming back last night and I would like to help further if I may.

You should measure from the red and orange wires to a good clean metal part of the body. You should be seeing battery voltage at these wires (12+ volts) so if you do not recheck that you have power to the AC3 fuse and let me know what you find so I can help.

If you OPT ME OUT i am barred from responding.

Let me know how i can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Gearge,

While I was taking off the relay the fan started going on intermittantly. I could not get it to stay on.

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

IT sounds like the red wire or the orange wire is poorly connected to the relay socket. Can you remove the socket and inspect the connections? They have tabs at the sides to release and then there is enough wire to pull straight out.

The other possibility is that the relay is failing, try swapping the blower relay with one of the others in the rack that has the same pin configuration.

If you see burning or melting in the relay socket or the relay pins that socket is going to have to be replaced.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
George, Yes, its the relay. I swapped with another and problem followed relay. Sorry about the mix up on my end last night. I am new to "justanswer" and clicked the wrong button. Kind regards, Declan
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry I did not stay up to see your reply, glad you found it, if you replace the relay your issues should be solved but please let me know if they continue so I can help

Thanks