relicdigger3
relicdigger3, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, GM Certified Technician, 13 Years Experience.
18089106

2002 Pontiac Grand AM: V6..I feel cold air in the vents..overheated

2002 Pontiac Grand AM V6. While the car is heating up I feel cold air in the vents. While this has happened the car overheated to the red line. I have had the mechanic go thru it and even changed the thermostat. Occasionally the low coolant light comes on and off but the resevoir is full. I had a new cap replaced also. If the car warms up with warm air coming thru the vent the car heats up normally. What could be causing the overheating problem?

Many times when working on the cooling system of these vehicle's air can be come trapped in the system causing conditions similar to the one you are describing. The mechanic may want to try to bleed the air from the system to see if this resolves the problem. The coolant light could be caused by a faulty coolant level sensor. This is considering there are no leaks in the system.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The mechanic has bleed the system twice after performing work on the vehicle. He just did it after replacing the thermostat. We both have not seen any leaks. He did a pressure test of the system and did not find any leaks or drop in the pressure.

If there are no leaks and the system is holding pressure, there is always a possibility the coolant temperature sensor or the cooling fans are faulty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The switch he replaced does both the temperture sensor and the cooling fans. Are there any other sensors that feed the car system? I did mention this is intermittant. I am nervous to drive this car any distance. A bit more info from last night. I took the car out when it was cold. It was blowing cool air all the way until it hit the red line (260deg), I was able to shut the car off just at the 260 deg mark. I checked and did not see any leaks of smoke. I waited about 10-15 minutes and turned the key to light up the dash. The temp registered normal so I started the car and everything was fine. I drove it home the next mile with no problems.
Have you tried flushing the cooling system? The chemicals in the engine coolant tend to wear down over time and gunk could build up in the radiator. Be sure there is nothing covering the radiator like a paper bag. This could also cause the engine to overheat. There is also the possiblity the engine is not overheating and the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster is faulty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't believe the gage is faulty. I can suggest a full system flush. If you don't have any other ideas of why the car is sometimes blowing cold air and overheating then I will accept your answer.
Thanks

Thank you.