Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1994 Pontiac Bonneville: stalls..braking..stop sign..car also stutters

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Pontiac Bonneville that frequently stalls when I am coming to a stop. Usually I am braking to prepare to stop at a traffic light or stop sign. The car also stutters, for lack of a better term, while driving. I have replaced the battery, fuel pump, cam sensor and crank sensor. I really like the way thecar drives but these problemsmake me feel like scared to death. Car stalls while moving and I have no steering or brakes. Please help. I have been to a few mechanics and spent a lot of money and still have the original problem. Thanks, Kim
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

right before it stalls when coming to a stop, do you feel a jolt, almost like someone tapped the rear of your car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not that I notice. To be honest the only way that I know that it has even stalled is because I feel the steering wheel lock and no brakes. If my music is not real loud I hear ding, ding, ding.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, last question to help me in diagnosing this - does it restart easily or do you have to wait a few minutes before it will restart
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am actually an expert at this now. I quickly throw it into neutral andam able to restart. I oncehad a really difficult time restarting it and it took a very long time, I had to push the car of the road andeventually it started. That was however before I replaced the fuel pump. It restarts easily now.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, there are three common problems that cause the symptoms you have: faulty ignition control module, faulty ignition coil pack or faulty Powertrain Control Module.

If you have your mechanic do the following tests below, he can narrow down and isolate the problem to one of the 3 components above without guessing or wasting your money replacing parts that are good

1. Verify good voltage and ground for the ignition module when cranking.

2. Verify that the secondary ignition resistance is OK (5k - 7k ohms for the 3 separate coils measuring tower to tower and 10k to 13k ohms tower to tower for the one big coil pack design).

3. Freeze the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to see if the problem changes. If so, replace the PCM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any thing else you might think the problem is or any more questions you need me to answer. I am so frustrated and definitely can't afford all the BS I have been going through besides feeling like I am going to end up dying or getting seriously hurt in this car.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

No, those are the only 3 things that will cause this stalling out, as well as the stuttering on acceleration you feel.

If your mechanic does those 3 tests, he will be able to accruately diagnose which of the 3 is faulty and do correct repair to finally resolve this for you
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a paysite and expert is not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so.

If you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The other issue I am having is that when they replaced the fuel pump and sending unit the gas gauge now fluctuates at least a quarter to a half tank either way and I never know how much gas I have. It didn't do that before it was replaced but the one mechanic says it is normal that his gas gauge does that in his truck. Am I crazy but I think it should not move like that. What could be wrong. The oly way I have manged this now is to fill all the way up and try to refill when I have driven 150 miles. This is a pain in the ***.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

they either bent the sending unit or didnt get the connector secure all the way. This is due to mechanic error and they need to repair this under warranty. it is NOT normal to fluctuate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. You wouldn't happen to work anywhere near Charlotte, NC do you? I obviously need a good mechanic.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

you are welcome.

Sorry, I am in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the schematic for the ignition control module? Which terminal on the ignition control module to check for the voltage. Also the mechanic is asking since the car runs and starts up easily is the problem just not more likely to be in the computer?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, give me a few minutes to upload the schematic.

although it starts and runs fine, if the ignition control module or coil pack is getting too hot, it can cause it to stall. Tell him to remove the coil pack from the ignition control module and look for whitish streaks on the control module. this would be evidence of getting too hot
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I am going to my mechanics and will check for your response then in about a half hour.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

here you go:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Eric:

Tried all the things you suggested and there were no issues with any of the 3 things you thought it may be. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, let me look at the schematics and will post back here in about an 30 minutes or so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

If you have it in park and while it is idling, if you step on brake pedal hard, does the idle drop to almost stalling?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not that I have noticed. It just really does these hard stuttering jags. It also gets in these stall moods. Has not stalled while driving since the Saturday before we started communicating. I"t does do the stuttering every day.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, that eliminates what I was thinking.

ok, I know you replaced the fuel pump, but has pressure been checked since replaced?

If not, I think we need to check the pressure to make sure the new pump is woring properly as well as the fuel pressure regulator is good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am pretty sure they did this because I really argued that I did not feel the fuel pump needed to be replaced and they mentioned something about what it, could have been pressure, was before and after so I am pretty sure this is fine.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I hate taking this for granted, but if you are really confident that it is correct, I will assume it is.

have they hooked a scanner up to it to see what each cylinder is doing when this occurs and if the scanner registers any misfires
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know they have hooked a scanner to it, but don't know the specifics. I think it is best to probably pick this up with you again this weekend when I can get information directly from them. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, sounds good.