GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

I own a 2008 grand prix and it has no heat, changed the t-stat,it

I own a 2008 grand prix and it has no heat, changed the t-stat,it isnt over heating gauge is between 1/4 and 1/2 still no heat
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Are the heater hoses to the heater core hot when you touch them?

Customer:

i have no heat, changed the t stat

Customer:

blows cold air

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK so we need to see first if there is hot water getting into the heater core or not so we need to see if the heater hoses, both are hot.

Customer:

one hose is hot

GM Tech (Cam) :

and the other?

Customer:

warm to the touch

GM Tech (Cam) :

but significantly colder?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

are these cars know for the heatwer core to plug up

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, easy place to try next, take those lines off the heater core and spray water from a pressure washer into the port that was the colder line first. Flush both ways and see what that does.

GM Tech (Cam) :

This will clear a blockage and the high pressure creates enough turbulance to get the coating off the inside of the heater core from the coolant.

Customer:

will try that, are these cars known for the heater core plugging up

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes they are.

Customer:

so i should put a new one in

GM Tech (Cam) :

no, try flushing first, much cheaper!!!!

Customer:

with new coolent

GM Tech (Cam) :

IF it works then do a whole coolant flush.

Customer:

ok will try that

GM Tech (Cam) :

If that does not help then we could be looking at the actuators that move the heater doors.

Customer:

but that dont stop the coolent flow?

GM Tech (Cam) :

The actuators stop the air flow through the core, not coolant flow.

Customer:

will try the flush first causeone hose is cold

GM Tech (Cam) :

THat is the logical place to start.

Customer:

if not i will be back

GM Tech (Cam) :

Absolutely!!

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

Customer:

thanks for the info

GM Tech (Cam) :

MY pleasure.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Be sure to bookmark this page (CTRL D) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.

GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.