Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Why would my car shut off while driving?

Customer Question

why would my car shut off while driving?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does the vehicle start right back up or does it have to sit a period of time before it will restart again?

Is it cranking over properly when it stalls out but wont start or is it not cranking over at all?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it doesnt start right back up. must sit for a while before she cranks up
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

This sounds like the common failure of the crankshaft position sensor and this can be hard for a shop or dealer to diagnose as most of the time when this sensor fails it wont cause a fault code to set to go by for diagnosis.

This sensor heats up and loses its signal causing stall out like this,then in most cases the vehicle has to sit a period of time before it will restart as the sensor cools.Then it may start up and run but may repeat the fault again once it heats up.

If you can tell me the engine size in your vehicle I can let you know where this sensor is located as well as cost for replacement.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not really sure...okay 2.2

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

This sensor is located behind the starter on the front bottom side of the engine.The starter has to be removed in order to access this sensor to replace it.

The sensor can usually cost around $30 and about a half hours labor to have it replaced.

Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On 1/5/2012"i asked a question about the car shutting off while driving and was told i needed a crankshaft position sensor. had that part replaced Thursday 1/11/2012. today i drove the car to and from church approx 20 miles. stopped at the graveyard to visit family member. when time to leave the car wouldn’t start. after sitting for approximately 25 min and shifting through the gears i finally got the car to start in neutral. drove home less than 5 min away tried to re-start the car and has yet to re-start. did changing this part cause this problem. or was my problem not related to this part to begin with?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Is the vehicle acting the same as it did before this part was replaced?