GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Grand prix: roll..02 sedan..drivers side..regulator

Customer Question

Passenger side window won't roll up - Grand prix 02 sedan - sometime the button would work, and other times would not - sometimes would work on passenger side, but not drivers side, then sometimes drivers and not passenger side - now, rolled down, cannot get back up no matter which side. just replaced the motor & regulator just in case - still won't roll up. any suggestions? Cannot see any wire problem? help.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
With your description of the windows working partially one side and then partially from another that suggests one of two issues.
The first possible issue is bad to window switches. Everything comes through the main switch in the drivers door, so bad contacts that would not allow proper grounding or proper power even if you use the passenger side switch.
Tied in very closely that is the switch and the passengers door as well. The contacts are used to provide proper grounding so both switches and operate the windows. Any corrosion or poor contacts up either switch to cause this issue.
The second possible option is bad wiring in the booth that runs from the door to the body itself either front door. A break in any of the wires because this.
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - Just to clarify. All power to passenger door switch comes from master switch on drivers side, Correct?

What seems strange is that the when the master switch does not work the passenger door switch may work or sometimes may not work, also the master switch may work and the passenger door switch will not work.

This only occurs when trying to roll window up. Either switch works to get window to roll down. I am confused because it would seem to be pasenger door switch, but if that is the problem why would the master switch work on occssions? The only answer I can come up with is that there is two independent power sources from each the master and slave switch, but then one should work at all times???

That leads me to believe that there might be a short somewhere in the harness that is intermittent in nature, but that still doesn't explain the ability to use the master switch or the slave switch to accomplish task if the power source is of a single source.
That is correct. It all comes to the master switch. It needs a proper connection in both passengers and drivers switch in order to work properly and one bad connection in either can cause this.