GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2002 grand prix: front end wobble. at slow speeds

Customer Question

2002 grand prix GTP. front end wobble. at slow speeds you can actually feel the front of the car wobble from side to side. also pulsating brakes with this. replaced pads and rotors without change. could it be bad cv joints. had it up on lift today with it in gear. wheels are running straight. whats up with my car?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
If you grab the top and bottom of the tire and push/pull, will it have any play?
Did you try rotating the tires?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ya we rotated tires. New pads and rotors all around. With car on lift and in gear , the half shafts aren't completely running straight it looks like they are bent or something????. No chatter in cv when turning
I suggest checking the wheel bearings. Lift the front end and grab the tire at the top and the bottom. Push and pull on the top and bottom of the time and see if you can feel any movement other than the flex of the tire. Also try turning the tire. You may year the noise if the bearing is bad enough. If you find something, replace the wheel bearing assembly.

The cv shafts will nto run true so don't worry about that unless they are a LOOOONG way out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No movement in tire/wheel. I also thought maybe rust chunk behind rotor, making it not run true. Haven't pulled wheel today to look. I'm just trying to think if anything. When you put brake on slightly while on lift you can see rotor wobble
Warped rotors are likely for the brake portion but for the other, that is strange. Is it only under power?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It actually wobbles at slow speeds without brakes on but when you apply brakes it feels like warped rotors. Going slow and you can see front move from side to side slightly
see movement on where the car, the wheel, which ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you watch down the front of the car and pay attention, you can see the car move left to right to left constantly
Can you see it when rolling along in a parking lot? If so you may need to have someone watch while driving in a lot. This sounds like a cv joint or wheel beairng since the tires and rims are good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not enough for someone outside of car to see.
OK does one cv shaft wobble more than the other?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. They both wobble about the same
OK engine mounts or torque struts loose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All those are ok.
Does turning side of side change this when it happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Lower control arm bushings sound like they loose then, it is about all that is left..