Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My Hot Coolant Temp light came on and with it, beeps. I looked

My Hot Coolant Temp light came on and with it, beeps. I looked and there was no fluid in the reservoir. I filled that and tried again. I drove about 2 blocks and the gauge in the car went fairly quickly up to the danger mark so I turned right around and drove home.____What should I do now
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
What model pontiac and engine size? Did you notice if you have good heat? How does it run? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pontiac Aztec 2003. Not sure about engine size.-where would I find out?

I have noticed that the temp has been creeping up on the guage for a few days. No, it has not been heating properly during this time frame, either.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like possible headgasket issues, these engines are someone common for it...You can have a blockcheck done to see if exhaust gas is in cooling system, if so this means headgasket is leaking. Here is the kit I use, let me know if you have questions. thanks.

http://blockchek.com/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this mean I can't drive it until I have that checked? Will it just keep over-heating? Could I put coolant in the radiator-would that help?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You can try to put coolant in radiator and overlfow tank but it would probably be a wise idea to not continue to drive it..otherwise you could turn a possible minor problem such as waterpump or thermostat into a bad headgasket if it keeps overheating.Let me know if you have questions, thanks.