Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Star: my reduced engine power light come on and my car just die on me

my reduced engine power light come on and my car just die on me and statr after a while why
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

How long did the vehicle have to sit before it restarted?

Has anything been checked or tested to try and locate the fault?

Did you have a lack of power before it stalled out?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it has to sit about five min, no we didn't take it to a shop yet and aLL the fluids are ok andthe battery i

is clean and new yes there is a lack of power before it stalled out there's also a sqeecky noys like belts thats not tight

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

Since you have a lack of power and a stall out this can be caused by a failing fuel pump in the fuel tank,this can cut power to the engine due to lack of fuel pressure and can cause this message if the computer picks up on the problem.

The fault codes need checked with a scan tool or code reader to see what codes are set,once this has been done then it can be diagnosed to see what component is failing.I have seen throtle bodies and throttle body wirting fail on these as well and cause this issue.Having the codes checked will aid in the diagnosis.

As for the squeaky belt noise this can be caused by a belt that is wearing and needing replaced or possibly a pulley or failing component on the drive belt system like the water pump or tensioner/idler pulley.This needs checked to see if one of these components are at fault and the affected component replaced.An automotive stethescope is usualy used to listen for the noise to locate it.

But the throttle body and throttle body wiring are common to cause this message and issue here as well as a failing fuel pump.

A shop or dealer can check the fault codes for you to see what codes are set and a local parts store might check these free of charge.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
kind of figure that but thanx for your time anyway
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.

You can check the wiring at the throttle body yourself to see if any wiring is cut into,pinched or stretched as this can cause this issue.If any is found like this then it needs repaired.

If you have a fuel pressure test gage I can tell you how to test the fuel pressure if needed or if you can get the fault codes I can further assist with this here.

Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 Years Pontiac Technician and training.