Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 15+ Years experience.

G6: makes noise in front suspension while in bumps..loose

Customer Question

Why my G6 makes noise in front suspension while in bumps,like if something were loose?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

what type of noise - creaking, knocking, squeaking, or some other noise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its like if the smalls bars were loose,,metal to metal..the driving feel is "something is abouit to get disengage",,i wnet several times even when it was under warranty and they found nothing,,,when you drive a new car the sensation is "firmeness",bumps and potholes drop are solid sensation..with this G6 before 30,000 miles the noise/loosness senastion appears

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

There is a TSB(technical service bulletin) out in regards XXXXX XXXXX problem. the problem is the steering intermediate shaft, depending upon which design is in yours, it will either need to be lubricated with a special grease or replaced.

I have uploaded the TSB as a pdf file format. you need to click on the highlighted word below to open and download or print:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the noise described is not the same as mine ,speacially is not heard when turning the steering wheel..or the car,,its over the potholes and bumps...
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

sorry, I will need to opt out then. it is extremely hard to diagnose a noise without benfit of hearing it. if another expert has any ideas, they will reply here.

please dont respond to this reply as it will lock it me and prevent another expert from helping you.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to!

I've seen a couple of broken stabilizer bars and links on these that can cause the noise you describe so definitely get that looked at closely.

Also take a close look at the control arm bushings and make sure all of the front frame bolts are properly torqued.

I have to think that you're experiencing the steering shaft problem though. I know exactly what you're talking about and it sure does feel like it's a strut or a strut mount problem! You'd never guess it is a steering shaft problem but believe me it usually is. You can have it lubricated per that TSB and even though it's usually just a temporary fix it will usually cure the problem for a while.

These intermediate shafts have been problematic for years on various FWD GM vehicles and have been through dozens of design changes. It seems like they'll never get it right.