zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

2006 Grand PRix GXP: Check engine light came..slowed down

Customer Question

Just bought 2006 Grand PRix GXP last night. Check engine light came on, transmission temp 192 reached max of 196. When i slowed down, stabalized out at 192 and made it home. My 5.3l Sierra temp runs at 153 on highway. What do you suspect to be the issue. Engine temp looked normal at mid in the band.
Submitted: 2 years ago via GreatAutoHelp.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
In the 190s is not uncommon so I would not be suspecting that there is causing the check engine light. But really there is no way to be sure what is causing it without getting the codes read. Many auto parts stores will read the codes for free so that is the place to start. If the vehicle did not seem to be running differently then I would not be suspecting a major problem but without the codes there is no way to be sure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why would there be such a difference in the running temp of the transmission on the 2008 sierra and the gxp? If anything, I would expect the opposite in running temps. Granted not really comparing apples to apples, however, 30 degrees is a lot.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
The Sierra is probably a 5 or 6 speed and the GXP is a 3 speed with overdrive so it just runs a little hotter 30 degrees really is not that much difference whey you are talking oil temp.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do the GXP transmissions have and actual filter? Since it did spike up after 2 1/2 hours of driving from 181 to 196, there had to be a low flow condition or something that would cause this to happen. I had been monitoring the temp since it was higher than what I expected so it was something that resulted from a mechanical or cooling issue. Is there a temperature control valve or temperature regulating unit that could of temporarily stuck or malfunctioned indicated by the check engine light?

Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Yes there is a filter, there is no temp valve or anything that regulates the temp of the trans the temp is only regulated by the cooling system just like the engine and when the engine gets warm say 195 or so that is the temp of the oil in the trans and there are no codes that I have ever seen that is specifically related to the trans oil temp.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess the best thing to do is change the fluid and the filter and monitor for the condition to repeat itself. At least then I will know to investigate further and see if the check engine light comes on. Will the code remain stored so that the condition does not have to be "in progress" or "current" so the code can be retrieved?
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
The code will stay in the computer for quite awhile even if the problem is not happening so you have some time to retrieve the codes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Have a good weekend
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer and please do not forget to click the accept button.

zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do you remove the center console? I need to reach the wires going to the cigarette lighter.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
There are just screws along the sides you may need to move the seat either forward or backward to get them all out, then the shifter handle needs to be removed and the console can be moved towards the rear and the wiring disconnected and then the console can be removed.