GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1999 grand prix: a water pump & low coolant sensor..low coolant light

I need to change a water pump & low coolant sensor o a 1999 grand prix, 3.8 engine. I am getting the a low coolant light. Since the engine already has a plus 100,000 miles in it I thought I do a little preventative maintenance and change the water pump & fan belt since they are all original euipment. Also flush the radiator. & change the low coolant sensor. The temperture is normal. I need the info on changing the water pump, & sensor. Plus location on both.Changing the sensor would probably fix the light problem but with winter coming on I want to avoid problems in the dead of winter.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
To change the pump you need to remove the belt.
Remove the pulley and bolts.
remove the water pump bolts
REmove the power steering bolts and reposition.
Then remove the pump and clean the gasket surface.

install the new pump and tighten the long bolts to 15 ft/lbs then add 40 deg of rotation.
Install the short bolts and tighten to 11 ft lbs plus 80 degs of rotation.
assemble the rest and fill the system.

The coolant sensor is in the passengers side of the rad below the cap.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By adding rotation I am assuming that after I torque down the bolts I am supposed to add another 40 degrees rotation to one set of bolts and 60 degrees to the other set. Also you didn't answer the question about the low coolant sensor. It's location and that show fix the low coolant light I am getting.
If you read the end of my answer, I did answer the sensor by saying its in the rad under the rad cap.

Yes to the torquing of the bolts.