Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: how do I bypass the fuel pump relay

Customer Question

how do I bypass the fuel pump relay on a 1997 grand prix gtp
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I will give my best efforts in answering your question to achieve your full satisfaction.

To bypass the fuel pump relay...

You will locate the relay in the electrical box under the hood.

graphic

Remove the relay and look on the bottom of the relay. You will notice that each pin has a number assigned to it. In the fuse box, jump pin 87 to pin 30. This will activate the fuel pump.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the relay is #15, correct? I pull that off, and has 5 pins... When you say jump pin 87 to 30, How is this done? I see nothing with these numbers.

I mean relay number 14, the f/p relay shown in the diagram. Next to the pins on the relay, there should be numbers that identify the pins. You will use a jumper wire, paper clip... to jump pin 30 to pin 87 in the slots that the relay would go into in the fuse box.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I pulled the Micro Relay #14 labeled Fuel Pump. Relay 15 states it is the fuel pump speed control. On relay 14, there are 5 pins. I do not see anywhere on any diagram for "pins". the first picture that was posted is too small to read.
Relay 14 has 5 pins on it, labeled 1,2,3,4,5. That is all I see.
Do you have a diagram on the side of the relay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
You will be jumping pins 3 to pin 5. This will energize the pump.
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. if this doesn't not fix the isue, what else could it be? You have been very helpful but I may still need help...I'm going to accept the answer, but will that close the window?
Accepting the answer will not close the window.
The fuel pump resistors are common to go. The fuel pump high speed system is problemsome. The fuel pumps are also junk. Security system problems.... I am assuming you are getting no fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This did not fix the issue. When I jump pin 3 to pin 5, the fuel pump initializes immediately. I start the car, it runs for about 3 seconds, then dies, same as with the resistor in. However, right after replacing the fuel pump, I was able to keep it running, but only at 3-4k rpm's. I was hoping bypassing the relay would do the trick. I was using a paperclip, which I assume is ok to use... Any other suggestions? This is VERY frustrating with this car. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, now I have no idea what to do..
Are there any diagnostic trouble codes in the computer? Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not tested with a gauge yet. I was trying to keep the cost as low as possible. I can rent the gauge from autozone, but no instructions come with the test kit. No error codes or service engine soon lights appear on the dashboard. I'm a computer guy trying to fix a car, the two just don't go together.

LOL.

They go together more than you realize.

No codes.

Next step is to see why the vehicle is doing what it is doing.

So... Give me a story of what the vehicle is doing, how long it has been doing it, what you have done to it so far, and we can take it from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car has had issues for a while. When this particular problem started, I was preparing to head out of town, and the car died, thankfully in my edition. I stopped at a stop sign, it sputtered, and died. When I think back, I thought the transmission was going out because it seemed like it was really difficult going uphill, but it may have been calling for fuel and the pump was dying. I replaced the fuel filter first, hoping it was a cheap fix. Wishful thinking. Then I purchased the fuel pump, it started up ran for about 30 seconds then died. That brings us to the testing now. I can hear the pump initialize when jumpering pins 3 to 5, but when I start the car, it just sputters and dies. That is the extent of my troubleshooting so far. I don't quite feel it was a waste of $269 for the pump, as it is the original pump after 184k miles.

Does the fuel pump energize with out jumping the relay?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it does. It has never not energized. When I turn the key to the on position, it energizes. I start the car, once the fuel in the line is gone, you can hear the pump running again. To me, logically it seems as if the pressure does not stay once the car is started. Is there a vaccuum or something that may be faulty? I checked for any leaks underneath the car to see if it was a hose, but I don't see/smell any thing out of the ordinary.

The pump is running.

Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if the condition improves.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok... where is that located?

The MAF sensor is located on the throttle body # 3 in the picture. Unplug the sensor and see if the vehicle runs better.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That did not - and officially ends my troubleshooting for the day. I ran my battery out completely troubleshooting! Thank you for your help.
You are quite welcome.