Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

My van is not getting any heat, even though I added antifreeze

My van is not getting any heat, even though I added antifreeze. What could be the cause of this.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

One common problem this vehicle with the engine it has that can cause this is the coolant level,the lower intake gasket is common to seep out coolant and cause air to be trapped in the coolant system.Then this causes air to be trapped in the heater core and can cause either not heat at all or intermittent no heat.

If you had to add coolant at all then the system has a leak,it needs pressure tested with a pressure tester,the leak found and then repaired.

Once the leak is repaired then the system needs coolant refilled properly.This vehicle should have two bleed screws for the coolant system,one is usually located at the end of the upper radiator hose on the thermostat housing and the other is usually in front of the passenger front valve cover in a coolant pipe.

These screws can be loosened and the coolant added to the radiator,then the engine run and when coolant starts to flow out of the bleed screws then close the bleed screws.Top off the coolant and allow the engine to cool completely.

Re check and fill the coolant level and repeat this procedure until every time you open the bleed screw nothing but coolant comes out.

A shop can also use their vacuum coolant refill machine and works the best.This pulls a vacuum on the coolant system to remove all air then injects the coolant into the system to avoid any air entering.

This is the most common problem for what is described here on this vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!