zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

changed out the coil packs and now the car

changed out the coil packs and now the car just turns over and there is no spark
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
The ignition module and crank sensor is the most common cause of a no spark issue but it would take some testing to be sure which one is causing the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was running but when it got damp out it would lose power . I looked under the hood that night and seen it was arcing , so I replaced the plugs and wires. It still lost power when it was damp out , so thats when i changed out the coil packs . now I dont even get a spark.
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure you plugged the coils back in properly? Be sure you did not unplug and connectors to the module below the coils. How are you testing for spark?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I use a inline spark tester... All I did was pull the old pacs off one at a time and put the new ones on as i took the old ones off
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Did you check for spark on all of the coils? If so is there no spark on any of them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no only one pack
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
I would check the rest but my first answer still is the best answer I can give without some testing. The coils themselves will not all fail at one time so there must be a different problem, probably what ever was causing the initial problem finally failed(most likely the ignition module or crank sensor).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was running ok till it got damp out thats why i changed the packs out and now nothing . So with new packs it would be a good idea to replace the ignition module as well?
Expert:  zzdaryl replied 2 years ago.
Its possible that would fix the problem but there is no way to be sure without testing. It is not a common practice to replace the module and coils at the same time but its worth a try if you can not do any testing. I would also check the fuses to be sure none got blown during the coil swap.
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic