Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

2006 Pontiac Solstice: p0011..most common problem..02 sensor

Customer Question

My 2006 Pontiac Solstice is throwing a p0011 code. What is the most common problem?I had the wires riped from the downstream 02 sensor and had that code. Fixed it. I I pulled the intake solenoid and the screens are clean. I change my oil filter every 3000 and my oil every 6000 with amsoil 5-30. have ran 10-40 in the past. I have 180k on the engine. Oil looks new even after 1000k on it. I cleared the light and in about 75 miles it's back. Car runs good. I checked the ohms on the solenoid and it is at 11.2 HELP???
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

The problem is not on the electrical side of the solenoid, this would set a different code. The problem is either on the mechanical side of the solenoid or in the camshaft actuator. (cam sprocket). From the cases I have seen previously, replacing the solenoid fixes the problem about 80% of the time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Code PO011 refers to Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance.

For more info, including testing, click here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I clicked and the page won't open
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Its a *.doc and opens with microsoft word or office. Let me convert it to a pdf, click here.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tested the solenoid and the valve moves. I bought a new one and it acts the same as the old one. The new one has a superseeded part number 12646783. I checked on the web and one of the parts sites says it won't fit the car but the parts guy said that it is the one. with electrical parts I can't take it back if it is wrong plus I don't want to mess up the car. Is there a default mode the car goes into if there is a failure? Even if the old solenoid is moving, can there be something else wrong with it to give me this code? The car runs fine, it just has this p0011 code
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Did you ever try to clear the code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only way I can is, by removing the pos batt cable. I took it off and the light is off. I also removed the ecm fuse. I'll drive it to work tomorrow round trip 130 miles. I did install the new one just incase there is something going on that I can't see. I'll let you know tomorrow...

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
You may have to use a scan tool to clear the code.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Over 350 miles and no code. I guess it is fixed. If anything else comes up, I ll get back with you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
ok