Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Pontiac Montana how do I change an alternator on a 2002 Pontiac

how do I change an alternator on a 2002 Pontiac Montana
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

this one is a pain as you will have to rotate the engine forward in order to have enough clearance to remove the alternator:

• Remove the throttle body air inlet duct.
  • Set the park brake.
  • Shift the transaxle into Neutral.
  • Remove the engine mount strut bolts. Swing the engine mount struts aside
    graphic

• Install a strap to hold engine

• Pull on the engine in order to rotate the engine forward.

• Remove the generator B+ terminal nut.
  • Remove the generator B+ lead.
  • Remove the generator electrical connector.
  • Remove the drive belt from the generator
  • Remove the generator front bolt.
  • Remove the generator rear bolts.
  • Remove the generator from the generator bracket and position the generator above the drive axle.
  • Remove the drive belt tensioner.
  • Remove the generator bracket.
  • Remove the power steering pipes from the power steering pipe retainer.
  • Remove the fuel pressure test port (schrader valve) cap from the fuel injector rail.
  • Remove the power steering pump and reposition the power steering pump in front of the timing chain cover in order to provide access for the generator.
  • Remove the generator from the vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm gonna need more detail about all the things I have to remove (i.e. drive belt tensioner, generator bracket powersteering pipes from retainer and power steering pump) because I don't know what most of them even look like.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

ok, bear with me as i will need to go through dozens of diagrams to find some for you as directions and diagrams are for people with a working knowledge of the engine compartment and not for someone with little to no knowledge.

here is diagram that I have labeled for removing the drive belt and the tensioner:
graphic
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
hi,

graphic

Power Steering pipes(hoses) and pump:

1. Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the pressure hose from the pump

2. Remove the pressure hose from the pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the return hose from the pump

3. Remove the return hose from the pump.
  4. Remove the bolts from the pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the power steering pump from the vehicle

5. Remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.
  6. Remove the power steering pump pulley from the pump.
  7. Remove the reservoir from the pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This labeled diagram working good. I understand pictures with labels fairly well. just a little frustrated with the vehicle to start with.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

lastly, the fuel test port cap. this is a metal cap that looks like a tire valve stem cap and unscrews the same way:
graphic

Just to let you know, this is a 2.2 hour job at a shop by an experienced tech. So just take your time, if not sure you will remember where a bolt or wire goes back, use tape or permanent marker to label them as you remove them.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

if you have any further questions on this, feel free to as for more help, otherwise please click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.