GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM
6758627

1997 pontiac: blow inside of the vehicle..ac control..that leads

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Pontiac Bonn

I'm having problems with the heating and aircondition, getting it to blow inside of the vehicle.
I was told that the problem was the AC control module(P/n 16258362), and that it was not a usual failure.
I order a part for replacement, placed into the car, the power cable to the battery that leads
Inside the vehicle start heating up the cable as if there was a short with the new device.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GMTechBernard replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

When you say "control module", are you referring to the display unit under the radio, or the one behind the glove box? The one behind the glove box is typically the one to give issue, however, replacement of the box by itself isn't enough. The vacuum harness that plugs into the box must also be replaced at the same time.

On some vehicles where cost was an issue, I have opened up the box and replaced the failure prone vacuum connection with a series of vacuum lines, instead of replacing the entire box.

As for your battery cable heating up, I don't think it would be related to the installation of the unit, as this circuit is protected by a fuse, and the fuse would blow well before it passed enough current by itself to cause the cable to heat up.

If you have any additional questions, or you need something further explained, please let me know, I will be happy to help!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"The one behind the glove box is typically the one to give issue, however, replacement of the box by itself isn't enough. The vacuum harness that plugs into the box must also be replaced at the same time."

I replace the vacuum harnes , however the over heating of the power cable , indecates a problem with the replacement part received. I did not have this issue until i replaced it , something is causing a short in the AC system.

question if the second power cable harness on the top side of the AC module was not plug in could it cause my power problems.

The harness on top of the module is for one of the temperature doors. If its left unhooked, you will simply loose control to I believe the passenger side temperature control.

Can I please get the full VIN of your vehicle so that I may do some research?

*** ALSO **** Where did the replacement module come from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model BonnvSSEI VIN 1G2HZ5215VH222817

MAKE PONT

Did you mean the replacement module came from the Pontiac Dealer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

QUALITY AUTO PARTS
Fax XXX-XXX-XXXX

QUALITY AUTO PARTS

ERNEST A HARRIS,

We have received and processed your request for a product return on the below item.

Order #

152703

Part Order

1997 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE Electronic Chassis Control Module Electronic Modules Temperature R. dash PART# 16258362

The replacement part came from a Quality Auto parts this may be a junk yard part

I'm not sure. They make claims that they test there parts , but i don't think so!!

OK, I confirmed that is the correct part number for your VIN. So thats not the issue.

Look at the bottom of the module, where the vacuum lines would connect and see if the vacuum nipples are rigid, or soft and flimsy.
If they are rigid, you probably have a new (or very good condition used) module.
If they are soft and flimsy, you have a 100% JUNK module.

Since the failure associated with these modules are not electrical related and we really have no way to test of the internal circuit board is shorted (besides installing an Amp meter inline to the power feed), here is what I suggest:

The part that fails is the vacuum connection. If the "new" module has a good vacuum connection, then swap it from the "new" module to your old module. You stated you didn't have the cable heating problems until you plugged the new module in. This will allow you to FIX your problem and retain your old electronics. The cover has tabs all around the cover and once released, the cover will just pop off. Once the cover is removed, you will see the vacuum lines that run to the connector. The connector should just pop out of place and the vacuum lines will go to what I call a "vacuum manifold" where it attaches to all the solenoids on the circuit board. remove the connector, lines and vacuum manifold and swap over to your old module and re-assemble. Reinstall in the car and see how it works.