Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 + years working on cars 9 years GM Tech

2000 pontiac sunfire: turn signals..brake lights..bulbs..relay

Customer Question

2000 pontiac sunfire turn signals and brake lights keep going out have replaced bulbs and sockets fuse is fine relay? where is it? dont know need help
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Is it the bulbs burning out or another issue. If it is the bulbs burning out, I put dielectric grease on the connection with the bulbs to the sockets. GM made some updated sockets for this problem back in 02 or 03. They even had a recall on some of these cars for this.
If its another problem besides the bulb, let me know and I can step you through the diagnostic on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried it didnt work
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Is it the bulbs burning out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried it didnt work
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
some sort of relay?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
IT has no relays in this system. If its just the bulbs burning out and if you replace them and then the new bulbs burn out a few days later, you may want to try those long life bulbs at the auto part stores or go to a dealer and get some of the updated sockets for this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the bulbs are fine the sockets are new it is shorting out somewhere
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok is it just one side that stops working or both sides that stop working?

What about the 3rd brake light? does that work/ was it working before this problem happen?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
both sides and third doesnot work
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Need to double check the 3rd brake light to make sure the bulbs are not blown and is good. It determines the direction we go in the diagnostic if that is working or not. If its not working, we need to check the stop lamp switch to see if that is working. The stop lamp switch is up by the brake pedal. It has an orange wire and a white wire on it that you need to check for power. The orange wire should have power at all times and the white wire has power when the brake pedal is pushed.
Check these and let me know.