GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Pontiac Grand Am how to get inner tie rod end loose on ca

how to get inner tie rod end loose on car
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

There is a tool that goes over the inner tie rod that you can then use on a ratchet to remove it like a bolt. Basically it Is threaded into the rack end so if you can get some room and even use a pipe wrench on the old one you should be able to remove it. Check with a part store to see if they rent the proper tool for install so you don't damage the new one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is the type of tie rod end that has the wrenck cut on the inside of the inner end with no tool area on the shaft of the rack to hold (just the stainless shaft)
The proper tool has an end that fits over the end of that wrench or hex end so you can remove it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No prob finding a tool to break the end loose . do i need to secure the rack shaft to do so
Nope, simply turn, but I would have it centered or turned the other way so it is not too long when you do turn.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, just to make sure it will not damage the rack and pinion to simple wrench off the inner tie rod end
Correct. That is the way we change them and is how the manual says to change them. Simply turn off, turn on and out loctite on the threads of the new one.