Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

97 Pontiac Sunfire: 2.2 engine..engine is kind of noisy...overhead cam

Customer Question

I have a 97 Pontiac Sunfire with a 2.2 engine. The engine is kind of noisy. I am pretty sure it is not an overhead cam. It is sort of a ticking or clicking noise. I figure this is a common engine in many cars so I am hoping someone can advise me on anything I can do to quiet it down.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
is the 8th digit of the VIN a T or a 4 ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 8th digit is a 4.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok if the belt is off and you hear rattling noises either the lifters are loosing there oil prime or the timing chain is loose and making the noise.as for quieting it down of course make sure the oil is clean and full.if it still makes the noise pinpoint it from deep inside or timing cover area or rocker area.if the oils full and its noisey the only way to quiet it down is to pinpoint the noise area and have it repaired
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't mean to hit accept yet. Whoops. I put a new timing chain on it not to long ago so I don't think that is it. If the lifters are loosing their prime is there anyway I can determine which one it is and then replace it myself? I don't mind taking the engine apart if I have to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also I have another question. Do I just restart to process for me next question?

Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
does it sound like rocker clanking ticking noise?or a deeper rapping sound?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesn't sound like a deep noise. Not like a rod knock or anything like that. Just a lighter ticking noise toward the cylinder on the end on the passenger side.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
take the valve cover off and see if any rockers are loose.if they are not your more than likey going to have to replace all the lifters.which you need to remove the cylider head to remove the lifters
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I think I just have to confirm the payment now. I will do that.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
let me know how you make out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I will let you know what I find.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok