Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

2001 pontiac grand prix: car wont start...3.8l..module..checked fuel

Customer Question

car wont start. 2001 pontiac grandprix 3.8l. i have check ignition controll module i have checked fuel all the way up to the fuel rails. i havechecked the crank and cam sensor wires. i ran adiagnostic with the hand held computer and gives me no codes.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

Virtual Wrench :

Hello and welcome

Virtual Wrench :

What's the fuel pressure reading?

JACUSTOMER-q77h3ocn- :

i dont know the pressure reading. all i did was check to see if the system had pressure and it does

Virtual Wrench :

That won't cut it, it has to have a gauge hooked up to get an exact presssure reading. The fuel pump can still work but be bad because it cant produce the proper pressure. If you go to a parts store like autozone they will loan or rent you one.

JACUSTOMER-q77h3ocn- :

do you want to know the history of the car to help figure out what might be going on

Virtual Wrench :

That's fine. But if it wont start the pressure has to be the first thing checked IF it's sparking at the plugs.

JACUSTOMER-q77h3ocn- :

ok. when the car was running i would be going down the road and it would studder a bit and either the tac would stop working or the car would die completely. it usually would start again right back up or sometimes it would have to set for 15 to 20 minutes. about 2 weeks ago the serpantine belt brook and the car died never to start again. i shot some starting fluid in the intake and tried starting it and it almost sound like it was deiseling.

Virtual Wrench :

The reason it sounded like that was because of the starting fluid.

This sure has all the symptoms of a bad fuel pump. Better test that pressure when it won't start and you are cranking it over. It has to be 52-59psi. Any much lower than 50 and it wont start.

JACUSTOMER-q77h3ocn- :

ok. i will have to go rent a pressure gage to do so. will i be able to come back and get more info if need be.

Virtual Wrench :

ok

Virtual Wrench :

If you have further questions feel free to reply. Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close and you can post back right here at anytime for related info for no extra charge.