George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Pontiac Grand Am SE How do I remove and transfer the inner

How do I remove and transfer the inner stub shaft from old CV axle to remanufactured one?
2003 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L V6
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The axle comes in one piece and you should not have to transfer parts from one to the other. Are you asking how to remove the axle from the transmission so you can install a new axle assembly?

See if the procedure below answers your question and if it does not help me understand what needs to be done so I can help you

Click here

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already replaced the transmission and I am putting in remanufactured CV axles. One of them needs to have the inner stub shaft transferred from the old CV axle to the new one. The reman ones did not come with any new C clips. Just want to know the proper procedure for getting the stub shaft out of the CV axle and into the remanufactured one.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You are saying that the stub shaft that is supposed to be in the transmission is now stuck in the axle assembly and you need to reinstall it in the transmission if I understand you correctly.

The procedure below is to remove it from the transmission so you can use a variation to remove it from the axle

Click here

let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not quite. The inner stub shaft is correctly attached to the passenger side CV axle that I removed. The remanufactured transmission I installed has the female receiver open to receive this shaft just like the old transmission I removed. What I need to know is how to properly remove this inner stub shaft from the old CV axle and install it in the remanufactured one that I will then install on the passenger side. Would photos help?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Photos always help but the stub shaft is supposed to be located in the transmission not the axle on that side, as you found out the axle is sold with a female splined hole to slide onto the shaft and the shaft is supposed to stay in the transmission when you remove the axle. The shaft has clips on both ends and the center portion where the seal rides so it is tough to find a spot to grab it without using the special tool shown in the procedure I posted without causing damage.

An alternative may be to remove the boot clamps from both axles and slide the tripod out of the shell and reuse the old shell on the new axle so you don't have to risk pulling the stub from the old axle.

Let me know how I can help and if you have pictures you can attach them with the paperclip tool in the toolbar above the posting window.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will send some photos--stand by.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK I will watch for your post

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
three photos at link below showing old and new CV axles and the passenger side of the tranny where the stub shaft will insert after placed on new CV axle. The information I got when ordering the CV axles says to remove the stub shaft from the old CV axle and place on new one with a new C clip.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Customer/sets/72157626701367298/
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Yes that is as I described above and you will need a tool to safely grasp the shaft and slide hammer it out or release the band clamp on the boot and the whole tripod shell will slide off the axles and you can swap them shaft and all. That is what I would do so you don't take a chance damaging the stub shaft.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to replace the c clip?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You should replace the C clip that goes on the transmission end of the shaft. It is obvious that the clip on the tripod shell end is not going to be replaced and unless the one on the transmission end has been deformed it is not mandatory to replace.

We pull these axles and replace them for transmission service on a regular basis without replacing the clips and don't have problems with them so as long as the clip is not twisted or bent you can leave it. Just be sure it fits down in the groove and the ends meet squarely if you decide to leave it and if you install the new one do the same with it.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years