jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified in A6,A8,L1, Plus California Licensed Smog Technician

Pontiac Firebird my service engine soon light is on in my

Customer Question

my service engine soon light is on in my 2002poniiac firebird w/the 3.8 v6 engine...the local mechanics? are stumped...they replaced the gas cap and told me it would would take 50 to 150 miles for it to's been over 400 miles and the light is still there anybody who can fix thkis problem????????
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  jim replied 5 years ago.
Anytime the check engine light comes on, it will store a code in the memory. This code will isolate the problem area. You will need to have that code retrieved from the memory. Once the code is retrieved send it to me and we can track the problem down form there. A lot of auto part stores like Auto Zone will retrieve these codes for free.