Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Pontiac Grand Am GT how do you change out the ignition switch

how do you change out the ignition switch (electrical part) on a 2004 pontiac gran am
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
this is an indash ignition switch correct?graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok save this to your computer or print it out as soon as you get it as the pictures time out quickly in here

1. Remove the upper trim cover from the steering column.
  2. Remove the lower screws from the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate.

1. Remove the upper screws (1) from the I/P cluster trim plate.
  2. Remove the I/P cluster trim plate.

1. Remove the instrument panel (IP) cluster trim plate.
  2. For the Pontiac only, remove the 2 IP cluster screws.

1. For the Oldsmobile only, remove the 4 IP cluster screws.
  2. Pull the IP cluster rearward. Disconnect the cluster lead.
  3. Remove the IP cluster.
  4. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  5. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) accessory trim plate.
  6. Remove the I/P cluster.

1. Remove the bolts from the ignition switch.

1. Reposition the ignition switch for ease of removal.
  2. Insert the key and turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.

1. Press the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release the retainer, then pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.
  2. Remove the lock cylinder from the ignition switch:
8.1. Depress and hold the ignition lock cylinder detent.
8.2. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
8.3. Pull the ignition lock cylinder out with the key.

1. Disconnect the Passlock electrical connector from the ignition switch.

IMPORTANT: Remove the ignition lock cylinder before you remove the Passlock electrical connector.

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.
  2. Remove the ignition switch through the I/P cluster opening.

1. If the lock cylinder does not rotate or is seized, perform the following procedure:
12.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
12.2. Locate the surface for the ignition lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the rib 9.5 mm (3/8 in) rearward, toward the key entry end, from the cylinder release button.
12.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with an 1/8-inch drill bit.
12.4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32-inch drill bit.
12.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
12.6. Grasp the ignition lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
12.7. Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
12.8. Follow the service manual procedures when cylinder coding is required.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. If the lock cylinder would not rotate or was seized, perform the following procedure:
1.1. Install the new ignition lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position.
1.2. Push the lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
1.3. You may need to slightly press the release button as the cylinder passes by the 9/32-inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

1. Position the ignition switch into position through the I/P cluster opening.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the ignition switch.

1. Connect the Passlock electrical connector to the ignition switch.

1. Connect the park/lock cable to the ignition switch.

1. Install the ignition lock cylinder. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
  2. Remove the key from the lock cylinder.

1. Position the ignition switch to the I/P.
  2. Install the bolts to the ignition switch.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb in) .

1. Install the I/P cluster.
  2. Install the I/P accessory trim plate.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable.
  4. Perform the Passlock learn procedure.
  5. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  6. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  7. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  8. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  9. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  10. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password.
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master