GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Pontiac 2004 2004 pontiac grandprix 3800 series. Having coolant

2004 pontiac grandprix 3800 series. Having coolant problems, replaced thermostat, heat sensor relay. Flushed system. Put on diagnostcs First #3 cylinder not firing.( Fixed.) Head gasket leak. (fixed). Showing no code for car. Having hard time bleeding air from system. Now when the car is started after sitting several hours there is a ticking coming from motor until it gets warmed up then ticking goes away.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
Was there any coolant that got into the oil?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Cam, Thanks for your time. Hers everything from start to finish. What started all this was one of thr pvc elbows that go into thr water pump cracked and most of the coolant came out, so both elbows were replaced. I refilled the radiater and it continued to run hot, little did I know that the system needed to be bled of air. Upon finding that out, I bought a service manual. drained the system and replaced antifreeze with Dexcool, thought I had all of the air out. It continued running hot. Had dianostic done and showed #3 cylinder was not firing, (head gasket leak) Fluid in the tailpipes. Car had a slight skip. Used a coolant sealer in the Radiater, car ran good and no skip but still appeared to run hot. Had a second dianostic done showed I needed a heat sensor, replaced that. replaced all hoses. Now car doesn't run hot but now when I start the engine a loud tapping comes from the top of the motor, thought maybe rockers, but after the car gets pressure in the coolant system the tap goes away. Tomorrow I'll flush radiater forwards and back flush and see what happens. Ready to just set it on fire and call it a day. But no fluid in the oil as of yet, but I'm sure it will probably happen cause thats how it's going.
Is there any white smoke?
Is this a super charged engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
White smoke a little, supercharged no.
Ok, this could be bad, these are known for the upper intake manifolds to leak coolant and that would cause the white smoke. The way to tell is take the upper intake off and see if there is coolant sitting there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let me check it out and I'll let you know, thanks buddy.