JHoop
JHoop, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

1986 pontiac grand am: engine starts..dies..coil pack, ecm

need ecm schematics for 1986 pontiac grand am, engine starts the imeadiatly dies, seems to be temperature related, the longer the key is left on the less likely it is to make an atempt at starting, I have replaced all componenta of the staring system with new parts, plugs, wires, ignition module,coil pack, ecm, crank position sensor. fuel pump has 42 lbs at startup, 38 lbs continous, be advised this is a trike and has been running for the past10 years as a trike, simptoms started 6 months ago would run for 10 miles the die like no spark or fuel, the went to about 2 miles, now 2 to 3 seconds

Hello & Welcome to JA,

When the vehicle dies , find out what is missing, spark, fuel pressure /42 psi & holding,injector pulse.

I am sendind a schematic to help you. Please send picture.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
have spark, and gas, but not starting, timing cannot be set on this vehicle, would MAF sensor cause this problem, if so is there a bypass for this
Check for injector pulse when cranking.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HAVE CHECKED INJECTOR PUJLSE WITH NOID LIGHT, IT IS THERE ON ALL INJECTORS, SIGNAL IS THERE FOR CRANK POSITION SENSOR, WHAT'S NEXT?
does it run at all now ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO, IT TRIES TO START, BUT WON'T
YOU KNOW ,i DO NOT THINK WE ARE GETTING ANYWHERE & i HAVE OTHER CUSTOMERS WHO SEEM TO BE EASIER TO WORK WITH. yOU HAVE A NICE DAY & ANOTHER EXPERT WILL ASSIST YOU......
Hello , my name is JHoop and thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

Do you still need help? Do you have the proper GM charts for this repair?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THE 1986 PONTIAC GRAMD AM WAS MADE INTO A TRIKE IN 2004, HAS BEEN RUNNING FINE UNTIL ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO, FIRST IT WOULD START AND DRIVE FOR ABOUT 10 MILES THEN SHUT OFF, FOR ABOUT A MONTH, THEN IT WENT TO 5 MI, THEN 3 MIN, NOW IT WON'T START, HAVE CHANGED ALL OF THE PART IN THE STARTING CIRCUIT: PLUGS, PLUG WIRES, IGNITION MODULE, COIL PACK, CRANK POSITION SENSOR, ECM, NO DIFFERENCE, ALSO CHANGED O2 SENSOR STIL NO START, HAS ALDL PORT BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT, DUE TO NOT KEEPING THE CAR INSTRUMENT PANNEL WHEN MADE INTO A TRIKE.
Do you have the proper GM charts for this repair? Miss that?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i HAVE THE HAINES BOOK ANF THE SCHEMATICS AND STANDARD TEST TOOLS, BECAUSE IT IS A TRIKE NO SHOP WILL WORK ON IT.
I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you need more help, please ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WON'T BE ABLE TO WORK ON IT UNTIL WED, WEATHER AND OTHER JOBS, I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES,
I will keep your question open. You can get back to me anytime answering any e-mail sent to you related to this question or by logging into your JA account. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i AM BACK WORKING ON THE STARTING PROBLEM, NOW I HAVE42 LBS OF FUEL PRESSURE, BUT INTERMITTANT SPARK. CHECKED PLUGS THEY SEEM TO BE FOULED AND FUEL COVERED, LOOKS LIKE I NEED THE C-4 IGNITION CHECK CHART FOR THE 3.0 MFI FOR NO SPARK
I see you have 2 open questions and no accepts. Am I wasting my time here?

Do you have a type 1 or 2 ignition system?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
TYPE 1, NOW IVE LOST THE SPARK, HAVE THE FUEL PRESSURE 42 LBS

You know I have the charts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I DON'T UNDERSTAND AM I SUPPOSE TO ACCEPT THE ANSWER BEFORE THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED, ON THE FIRST QUESTION I HAD THE EXPERTS TELL ME THERE WAS NO WAY, BUT I THOUGHT IT OUT AND DID WHAT THEY SAID COULD NOT BE DONE, I NEED TO GET THIS MOTOR RUNNING, IF YOU WILL NOT TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN I AM SATISFIED THAT YOU NO YOUR STUFF, JUST TELL ME ACCEPT AND LET GET GOING ON THE SOLUTION

JHoop, Pontiac Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner