Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix: flushed..an oil change..transmission fluid

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with 103,000 miles on it. I had the transmission flushed at 86,000 miles. When I took it in for an oil change today the informed me that the transmission fluid was brown and I should have it flushed. When I got home I started to become very concerned and checked it myself. It is indeed brown, not sign or particles or dirt, and it doesn't smell burned. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that if I do not come to a complete stop and start to excelerate the car does a small jerk or skip. I have not noticed any other problems with shifting. To be honest I thought the jerk might have been to ice at the intersections, because of our Michigan winters. Now, however, I'm more concerned it could be costly tansmission trouble. I called back the oil changed place and asked them more questions. He suggested that I have the pan dropped, the filter changed, and the fluid changed. Is this good advice or am I already looking at having to replace my transmission?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome back,

I would say that unless it is having shifting issues right now, then yes it is a good idea to have the fluid and filter changed. If it was giving any trouble, then i would say to not change it because sometimes it makes things actually worse. It usually turns brown from heat build up inside the transmission and changing it on a schedule is always a good idea.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.Please remember to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Even if you have a subscription, you will NOT be charged again.You can always ask follow up questions right here for no extra charge even after you click on accept. By accepting, it shows me that you appreciate my time, expertise and help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, do you feel that the slight slipage, or jerk, that I feel when I don't come to a complete stop and then excelerate as a problem? That is the only time I feel it. If I behave myself and come to a complete stop, and then excelerate, I don't notice an issue.

That could be caused from a restricted filter inside the trans. Just make sure they change it as well as the fluid. (they normally do) and it may very well take care of it. If not, then pressure testing internally in the trans will need to be performed, but the fluid and filter must be changed first.

Best wishes!

Virtual Wrench (L J), Pontiac Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic