Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

How do I reset my check engine light?

How do I reset my check engine light?

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

You can reset the Check Engine light by removing the "NEG" cable from the battery for 15 minutes. BE ADVISED: If the reason the light is on was not repaired correctly, or addressed at all, the light WILL return within 50-75 miles of normal driving (sooner depending on where the problem lies)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about the check oil light. Had the oil changed & those morons didn't know to reset that. --- I am in a bind here, my sticker is expired. I am in and out, so please be patient with me. I am honest & will pay if I get my sticker. I know the oil won't keep me from that.

Simply "resetting" the Check Engine light will not get you past the emissions test. I'm an inspector here in my State and I see this all the time. If you "reset" the light, the inspection machine will Fail you due to "Not Ready" system monitors. I'd love to tell you there's a way to beat the machine without making a repair, but there isn't. You WILL have to address the reason the Check Engine Light is on. I know no one wants to hear that in this economy, but, the truth is the truth.

No, the Oil Change light being on has nothing to do with inspection- but here's the reset so you'll have it:

How to Reset the CHANGE OIL Light

The GM Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a CHANGE OIL light being turned on, reset the system.

After changing the engine oil, the system must be reset. To reset the CHANGE OIL light use the following procedure:

Using the Accelerator Pedal

1. Turn the ignition to ON, with the engine off.
  2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds.

The reset is complete when you hear the chimes and the CHANGE OIL light goes out. However, if the light stays on and no chime is heard, you will need to repeat the reset procedure.

1. Turn the key to OFF.

If the CHANGE OIL light comes back on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.