1999 montana: you change heater hose

how do you change heater hose on a 1999 montana , can I do it myself or do I need a mechanic
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using JA

The labor time to replace the hose is no more than 1/2 . you'd save yourself lots of headache if you let the garage repair it. the coolant system has to be bled once the hose is replaced. if you tear into this yourself and you ran into a problem it's cost you more money to fix.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does it have to be repaired from top or bottom, I'm not sure what a shop charges per hr it's my daughters van and a single parent would like to save as much as possible
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

there are tow radator hoses, they both get replaced fromt the top. the average labor hour

is $70.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are we talking about the same hoses I'm not talking about radiator hoses I'm talking about the heater hoses
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

yes the heater hoses that run to the heater core there are two in and out. pressure and return, both get replaced from the top.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok just wanted to be sure, do I have to remove parts off of the engine it looks like there is very little room for working on them. Is there anywhere I can get some step by step instructions or maybe some pics. I'm 50 yrs. old been doing my own work for several yrs. But mini vans just aren't very accesible to work on. any help would be nice, thanks
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

unfortunately there is a step by step process for this. the air filter housing needs to be removed. below is a picture of the hoses.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I'm not forgetting about you I'm going to price hoses tomorrow and look it over better tomorrow then I will get back with you have a nice evening thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got the repairs done on my own, the most time consuming part was finding the parts. I needed, I had a leak on one of the quick connects the one with the 90 angle to it, I could get the straight one from dealer the other one, I was told I had to buy the complete assembly for $230.00. Got inventive, no quick connecton on that connection. Whoever designed this cluster must of had head stuck way up deep somewhere, now I have to come up with away to put brake fluid in you certainly can't dump it in from the bottle. I'm going to accept
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX reply.Good to work with you