Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.

Daytime running low beam at night

my daytime running lights will not come on. no low beam at night. car made in canada. 2006 grand prix. how too repair?
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Can you tell me the engine size in this vehicle?

Do you have a test light or multi meter for testing electrical at all?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
engine size is 3.8 liter V6. I do not have any meter to test circuits. sorry

In your under hood fuse box should be a low beam headlamp relay.This relay can sometimes fail and can cause this type of problem here.

Start the vehicle and turn the headlamp switch on on low beam and tap on this relay with a screw driver or similar and see if the low beams come on then.You can also try and swap out this relay with another relay in your vehicle that has the same part number and see if the low beams work then.

If they do then this relay needs replaced to correct this problem here.

You may also have a fault with the dimmer high/low switch on the steering column as the headlamp low beam circuit travels through this switches circuit.If this switch is faulty it can cause this as well.Sometimes flicking the lever back and forth or up and down will cause the low beams to come on or flicker on,if they do then this switch needs replaced.

If none of these here help isolate what is at fault then the circuit will need tested by someone with a meter or test light to locate the failure.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!