Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

How do I change the oil pan gasket on a 2000 Grand Prix GTP?

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

what engine size in your GP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3.8 L

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here are directions:
3.8L Engine

CAUTION

A special engine support fixture as well as a transaxle jack are required for this procedure. The reason is that the engine mount brackets wrap around the oil pan and must be removed for access to the oil pan. This means the engine must be suspended from above in such a way the vehicle can still be raised for the undercar work. The factory engine support fixture has legs which extend across the engine compartment and rest on the shock towers with additional legs resting on the radiator support. Other engine support fixtures are similar in design. It may be possible to rent a similar device locally. Use care if using any type of substitute. Damage to the vehicle and/or personal injury is possible if the powertrain shifts or is dislodged from the vehicle.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the wish bone-shaped engine mount struts from the engine

3. Install an engine support fixture to safely support the weight of the engine when the engine mount brackets are removed.

4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

5. Disconnect the front exhaust pipe the manifold.

6. Remove the right front tire and right inner fender splash shield.

7. Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter.

8. Verify that the engine support fixture is in place and engine properly and safely supported. Remove the U-shaped metal engine mount brackets from the front of the engine and the rear of the engine.

9. Remove the flywheel cover.

10. Position a transaxle jack under the transaxle, to raise the engine by lifting the transaxle.

11. Remove the oil level sensor, located in the oil pan, before the oil pan is removed. The sensor may be damaged if the oil pan is removed first.

12. Remove the oil pan retaining bolts and lower the oil pan.

Engine oil pan arrangement—3.8L engines

Engine oil pan arrangement—3.8L engines

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Clean all parts well. Make sure the oil pan gasket rails, the engine front cover, the rear main bearing cap and the engine gasket sealing surfaces are clean. Clean all threaded holes. Some engines may use a "windage tray" which is a sheetmetal shield designed to keep oil from the spinning crankshaft. This reduces oil foaming and helps cut drag from the oil on the crankshaft. This sheetmetal shield may have a formed-in-place seal that acts as an oil pan gasket.

2. Prepare a few cleaned engine oil pan bolts with GM # XXXXX or equivalent thread-locking compound. Install the oil pan gasket (or sheetmetal shield, if equipped), and install the oil pan. Hand start a few of the thread-locking compound treated oil pan bolts. With the pan secure, install the remainder of the oil pan bolts, all of which should be treated with the thread-locking compound. Tighten the bolts to just 125 inch lbs. (14 Nm). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE OIL PAN BOLTS. Overtightening the oil pan bolts can damage the oil pan, resulting in an oil leak.

3. Install the oil pan level sensor after the oil pan has been installed. Tighten the sensor to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm). Attach the connector.

4. Install the flywheel cover.

5. Install the engine mount brackets to the engine. Tighten the bolts to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm).

6. Install a new oil filter.

7. Install the inner fender splash shield then install the tire assembly.

8. Connect the front exhaust pipe to the manifold.

9. Lower the vehicle

10. Remove the engine support fixture.

11. Install the "wish bone" shaped engine struts.

12. Fill the engine with clean engine oil

13. Connect the negative battery cable.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so
. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day