GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

pontiac: rocker arms..torque specs..havethe rockers tapping

Customer Question

im trying to adjust the rocker arms on a 04 pontiac 3800 engine and the torque specs i was given still havethe rockers tapping
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mark.

You are correct with the 11 lbs and 90 degrees. There really is no adjusting these. The push-rod needs to be "centered" into the lifter when it is running. Some engines depending on their design, have you adjusting the lock nut so in essence, you "center" the push-rod.

Other engines, like yours, have a set torque and upon reaching that, the push-rod is so-called "automatically" adjusted.

My point here is that your torque or tightening procedure is not to blame for your noise. Or should I say "reason" for your noise. If you have lifter noise, then there is another reason for the noise.

These 3800 engines, in my opinion, are the best thing since slice bread. I wouldn't own anything but. I have owned a half-dozen of the engines, and driven all of them well over 200k with little or no major repair. Not to mention gas mileage. I have a 93, 96, and a 97. On the highway, I can sometimes touch the 30 mpg mark.

I said all that because I am surprised to hear you have lifter noise. It is just un-heard of. Yes, lifter failure, and more importantly, camshaft lobe issues, but that was in the 90's. Your 04 should be running like a timex watch.

Some things to look for. Do you have coolant in the oil? Is there coolant in your reservoir? Coolant contamination will dilute oil and the lifters will make noise. Not to mention other serious engine damage.

Can you tell me a little bit about the history of this engine? What's going on here? When did you develop this noise? Are we sure it is lifter noise? Fill me in a little here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just rebuilt this engine and in the process of working out the bugs i took the heads to a machine shop and everything is good except for the rocker arms no loss of power and no fluid transfers
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, I am not so sure I understand "everything is good except for the rocker arms".

Again, there is no adjustment. It is just a matter of tightening them down.

What is your problem? Lifter noise? Clattering?

Do you have oil pressure?