Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Pontiac Montana how do u change a front strut

how do u change a front strut?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

here are directions to remove the strut from the vehicle and then how to change the strut out from the spring:

CAUTION

Do not remove the top center nut from the strut assembly. This nut should only be removed when the strut assembly is out of the vehicle, mounted in a holding fixture and the coil spring is in a compressed position using the proper coil spring compressor.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

2. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Front wheel

• Three upper strut nuts

• Lower strut bolts after marking the position of the strut to the knuckle

NOTE

The strut to steering knuckle position must be marked so that the camber angle will not change. If the angle is change, the wheel alignment will also be affected.

• Strut

• Nut from the top of the strut by placing the assembly in a Strut Compressor tool J 34013-B and Damper Rod Clamp J 34013-20. Turn the compressor forcing screw until the spring compresses slightly

• Strut mount

• Spring from the strut assembly

Strut assembly mounting

Strut assembly mounting

Click to Enlarge

To install:

1. Install or connect the following:

• Spring over the strut in the proper position

• Strut mount

• Compressor screw and start turning the screw clockwise until the strut shaft threads are visible through the top of the strut. Torque the nut to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm).

• Strut and the upper nuts. Torque the nuts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).

• Lower strut bolts by aligning the strut to the steering knuckle. Torque the bolts 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm).

• Front wheel

1. Remove the strut from the vehicle.

2. Install the strut in the special tool J 45400(spring compressor).

NOTE

The spring is compressed when the strut moves freely.

3. Turn the spring compressor forcing screw until the coil spring is compressed.

4. Use a 45 TORX® socket in order to hold the strut shaft. Use the special tool J 42991 to remove the upper strut mount nut

5. Remove the strut from the special tool J 45400 .

6. Loosen the compressor forcing screw until the upper strut mount and coil spring may be removed.

7. Remove the upper strut mount and the coil spring from the special tool J 45400 .

To Assemble:

1. Install the coil spring and upper strut mount to the special tool J 45400.

2. Turn the spring compressor forcing screw (1) until the coil spring is compressed.

3. Install the strut to the coil spring and upper strut mount.

4. Loosely install the strut retaining nut. Use a 45 TORX® socket in order to hold the strut shaft. Use the special tool J 42991 to install the upper strut mount nut and tighten the strut mount nut to 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm).

5. Remove the strut from the special tool J 45400.

6. Install the strut to the vehicle.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
hi,

here is photo showing spring compressor on the coil springs:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do u know the price for the front strut cost approcsimently?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

do you mean for the strut spring compressor, or price for the struts at a parts store, or to have your struts you bought installed by a shop, or for shop to supply the struts and install them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
for the price of the struts at a parts store
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Gabriels and Monroes, which both are very good, will run between $80-100 each. Both come with lifetime warranties
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank u very much
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
monroes in canada run you about $200-350 each but fully assembled and lifetime garanty