Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2005 grand prix: stalls..looses power..start sits

Customer Question

my 2005 grand prix stalls out and looses power while driving also no power when i accelate. It will start back up after it sits for a minute. Sometimes it will not do it for days and on some days it will not happen. Took it to Goodyear they check fuel pump good pressure and mass air flow was good. They are stumped?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Are there any codes in the computer?

What is the fuel pressure at when this happens?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe on code was 1608 do not know what pressure was they said it was good. Today after it died on them the computer didnt give any codes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
When it stalls out, does it start right back up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes sometimes it does and sometimes we have to wait 1-3 minutes
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the fuel rail. It is round, about a quarter size and has a vacuum line going to it. If the regulator is leaking gas than it can cause this problem. Pull off the vacuum line that goes to the regulator. Be absolutely sure there is no gas in the vacuum line. If there is, the diaphram has ruptured and there is gas entering the engine that is not accounted for and the regulator will need to be replaced!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

would this occur when it is accelerating at from all speeds. example highway speed give it gas and it looses power?

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
No.. it should not...

Does the instrument cluster shut down or off when the engine stalls?

Does the check engine light come on with the key on when the engine stalls out and does not restart?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no to the instrument cluster it stays lit and no to the check engine light. As I might have said earlier they and the computer plugged in when it happened and it would not give any codes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
When it stalls out and does not restart, does it read engine rpm on the scanner when cranking the engine over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Well, if the computer is not seeing engine rpm, then chances are the crankshaft position sensor is at fault.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

if this is bad it usually will give vague computer codes, am I correct on that? also is there only one crankshaft sensor?

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
IT may or may not throw codes if the crank sensor is bad. It all depends on how it goes bad.

YES.. only one crank sensor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would this throw up the mass air flow sensor code? Because that is really the only code that comes up; but when they put a new one in it it need not fix it, it died again.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
WHat code is it?>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

I double checked and do not have a listing for this code.

Cna you double check for me?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have to check with good year but I am pretty confident with the crankshaft sensor, while waiting I was researching it and it nailed the problem on the head. Plus the part doesnt seem to expensive. I think I will repplace that and see the car has 135,000 and runs great eexcept for this. Tired of me yet? LOL
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

I just hope that I have helped you narrow down this problem! This is my passion and I just love helping others out as much as possible!

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one last question, when you replace one of those how long would it take you?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Not long... a few minutes...