Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified/40 years experience

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix: shutting..driving down the road..couple times

My 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix has started shutting down while running. This has happened four times, the last time I was driving down the road at 35-40 mph. The last couple times it happened, I got this message on the dash "starting disabled due to electronic throttle control." All four times this has happened, I have been able to remove the key and then restart the car. I took it to the dealer and they were unable to replicate the problem or find anything wrong. Any ideas???

Hello & Welcome to JA,

What you have described sounds like a faulty throttle angle sensor inside the electronic throttle control. Any type of intermitten problem is harder to find. I have seen several of these fail & this is one of the symptoms.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this something that the computer diagnostic test that the dealer did would have missed? They said that the test showed nothing wrong and gave no error codes. If this is the problem, can I have just the sensor replaced or would I need to replace the whole electronic throttle control? Can you give me a ballpark range of how much a repair like this would be to have done?

Yes, this would have been missed because it was not failing at the time. The throttle body assembly must be replaced . There are 2 sensors in this unit /non serviceable.

This is around 500.00